Hello from a returning afficionado, California

Rick Beauregard
Alumno de los cursos en linea

Hello from a returning afficionado, California

Mensaje por Rick Beauregard » Sab May 02, 2015 5:35 pm

Hello again everyone,

I guess I thought my introduction and registration on the English forum carried over to here, but now I've been set straight.

I first found delcamp.org a few years ago and had planned to start the lessons then, but work and life intervened and I didn't follow through. I was first seduced by the classic guitar back in 1976 when I was in Alaska working on the Alaska Pipeline in a beautiful place in the Brooks Mountains called Chandalar. The operator of the radio shack was a Christopher Parkening fan, and each night over the camp radio he played his records, including one piece which was entrancing to me: Villa Lobos' Prelude No. 3. A few years later I met a guitarist who had been playing about three years, and he played that piece for me. Three years!!! I thought. I can do that! So in 1980 I found a teacher in Laguna Beach and started to learn. The late Greg Coleman was a student of Fred Noad, and he also studied with Jose Tomas, Pepe Romero, Laurindo Almaeda, and had master classes with Parkening. That makes me three degrees of separation from Segovia, whom I met, and had the privilege of seeing perform four times before he died. Greg was a great teacher and musician. But the economy and work and graduate school in environmental engineering intervened and I had to quit lessons after only about 2 years. I played for years after that, but eventually stopped completely or nearly so about 25 years ago. I tried to pick it up again from time to time, but was focused on other things. I'm still working on that piece by VL!

I retired about a year ago, and can now finally devote the time necessary to the guitar. I started again in earnest last November, re-learning my old repertoire, and decided I needed more discipline and programmed repertoire that was within my reach (as well as the encouragement that you all provide each other). So I came back to delcamp.org. I read through all the lessons in D01 and D02 and decided the best level for me to begin was D03. I started VERY late (just about 2 months ago) and began trying to catch up. I finally submitted all my work, and I'm ready for the final exam for Level D03.

I think when that's over and I finish with lesson 10, I'll just keep on going through the summer (using this year's lessons) and try to submit for level D04 and D05 when the semester begins again in the fall. Now that I'm into it, I'm really enjoying the work and the interaction of our small D03 group of students. They are amazing!

I think I am now registered to take the exam, but please confirm.

:guitare: Rick

Juan Bta. Gimeno

Re: Hello from a returning afficionado, California

Mensaje por Juan Bta. Gimeno » Sab May 02, 2015 5:52 pm

Yes Rick you are registered as alumni. Good luck with yr exam

BTW this summer (from mid June to Sept) we are preparing a couple of monographic Carcassi courses
Beguinners for D01 and D02 students and Advanced for D03 and D04 students, you could enrole if you like the idea...
Cuan sabio es aquél que cree que aun le quedan cosas por aprender.
Cuan ignorante es aquél que no reconoce su ignorancia.

Rick Beauregard

Mensaje por Rick Beauregard » Sab May 02, 2015 7:23 pm

Sounds great Juan. Thanks for letting me know!

Catherine Livingston

Mensaje por Catherine Livingston » Lun May 04, 2015 4:20 am

Rick,

That is so interesting that you were able to meet and see Segovia while he was alive. There are many of us on this forum who studied the classical guitar and then took a long break. This forum seems to be a perfect place to provide some structure and casual support for motivation to keep practicing. :) It seems that you have caught up quickly with the level D03 lessons so you will be ready for D04 or D05 next year. Good luck with the final exam,
:bye:
Catherine Livingston

Catherine Livingston

Mensaje por Catherine Livingston » Lun May 04, 2015 4:22 am

Juan,

I enjoy playing Carcassi pieces and have studied some of them on my own. I would be interested in participating in the course at the "advanced" level this Summer if it happens. Will it be posted here in the Spanish forum?

Thank You!,
Catherine Livingston

Juan Bta. Gimeno

Mensaje por Juan Bta. Gimeno » Lun May 04, 2015 6:15 am

Yes Catherine
In Carcassi Advanced will study some pieces from is work 25 progressive studies, his Method and other Op's
Will be nice to have you in board
Cheers

Rick Beauregard

Mensaje por Rick Beauregard » Mar May 05, 2015 1:04 am

Catherine Livingston escribió:Rick,

That is so interesting that you were able to meet and see Segovia while he was alive.
It was a dream come true shortly after I started playing in 1981. He gave a 2 week masterclass at USC and I attended all 10 sessions and his concert following the class. We all got to meet him individually after one of the day's sessions. We had a brief but memorable conversation. All four original members of the LA Guitar Quartet were students in the class. I of course was auditing.
No tiene los permisos requeridos para ver los archivos adjuntos a este mensaje.

Haris Karachristianidis

Mensaje por Haris Karachristianidis » Lun May 18, 2015 6:55 am

This is very impressive!! :shock: :)

You are very lucky to have this certificate!

Rick Beauregard

Mensaje por Rick Beauregard » Mar May 19, 2015 8:25 pm

It's just an autographed name tag. Not a certificate. I was an observer, an auditor, not a student of the Maestro. But it was a great experience.

Duang Turongratanachai

Mensaje por Duang Turongratanachai » Mié May 20, 2015 10:36 pm

Rick Beauregard escribió:It's just an autographed name tag. Not a certificate. I was an observer, an auditor, not a student of the Maestro. But it was a great experience.
Rick, this is so cool!!! :okok:
Duang

Rick Beauregard

Mensaje por Rick Beauregard » Mié May 20, 2015 11:05 pm

One of my photos of Maestro Andres Segovia, 1st Marquis of Salobreña, USC July 1981.
No tiene los permisos requeridos para ver los archivos adjuntos a este mensaje.

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Mensaje por Madeleine Pashkofsky » Lun May 25, 2015 3:48 pm

Welcome Rick. Wow you have covered a lot of geography from Alaska to Laguna Beach!

Abraham Mencara Ramírez

Mensaje por Abraham Mencara Ramírez » Vie May 29, 2015 10:28 am

Rick Beauregard escribió: All four original members of the LA Guitar Quartet were students in the class. I of course was auditing.
This is very impressive too !.

CarlWestman

Mensaje por CarlWestman » Vie May 29, 2015 2:26 pm

Juan Bta. Gimeno escribió:Yes Rick you are registered as alumni. Good luck with yr exam

BTW this summer (from mid June to Sept) we are preparing a couple of monographic Carcassi courses
Beguinners for D01 and D02 students and Advanced for D03 and D04 students, you could enrole if you like the idea...
Please post a link when you get a chance. And what are "monographic Carcassi courses"? Does it mean one book, one musical piece ... ?

I read something in the English forum about a similar setup last summer for Sagreras. I'm sorry I missed it! I loved doing Sagreras First Lessons book - that's how I got started. About the first half of the book, we did all the lessons, then there were 5 choices for the final exam from the second half of the book. I eventually learned them all (I loved them all) but there were still pieces from the 2nd half of book one I've never heard before, and I bet I'd like them too.

I worked a little bit into Second Lessons before stalling ... and ultimately finding the structure I need here at Delcamp.

I would like to work on something this summer, but I'd prefer Sagreras ... recording some pieces I've not gotten around to recording. if anyone else is interested please let me know, pref. at the English forum, but I'll try to check here too. Thanks - Carl

Juan Bta. Gimeno

Mensaje por Juan Bta. Gimeno » Vie May 29, 2015 2:39 pm

CARL
Summer monographic seminaires are suspended on this site by order of Prof. Delcamp, sorry I can't do them.

The Carcassi curses are based on:
a) Beguiners - his method
b) Advanced - some works included in Op 60, some of Op 11 and works of his method.

Basically I intended to work on technique, some Harmony basics, but mainly right/left hands practique...

If anything new arises regarding these seminaires I will let you know thru moderator Tarbaby.

As for Sagreras, just look for it and you'll find what we did last summer from lesson 35/37 to the end... nice recordings...

Volver a “English”