D03 Exam piece 2017

chu bun

Re: D03 Exam piece 2017

Mensaje por chu bun » Mar May 23, 2017 3:56 am

Andrei Puhach escribió:
Vie May 19, 2017 3:13 pm
I also don't understand why it is played AA BB CC DD A B rather than AA BB CC DD AA B
Is it denoted in notation somehow? Or it is just how 'Fine' works with the repetition sign?
I found the paper below that states "Traditionally, musicians skip over any first endings after they go back for a D.C. (or D.S.) repeat." In our case, I guess the first and second endings are the same. So we play the sections once.
http://learnmusictheory.net/PDFs/pdffil ... tSigns.pdf

David Sainz Alvarez

Mensaje por David Sainz Alvarez » Mar May 23, 2017 4:27 am

In my opinion AABBCCAB should be done.
If we did in the second round AA we should do BB, not AAB.
I say it by intuition and what sounds better to me

Colin Bullock

Mensaje por Colin Bullock » Mar May 23, 2017 9:17 am

chu bun escribió:
Mar May 23, 2017 3:56 am
I found the paper below that states "Traditionally, musicians skip over any first endings after they go back for a D.C. (or D.S.) repeat." In our case, I guess the first and second endings are the same. So we play the sections once.
http://learnmusictheory.net/PDFs/pdffil ... tSigns.pdf
There is a lot of advice that repeats seem to be very flexible eg Brahms said if audience is familar with a piece don't do the repeats. There seems to be a convention that on the final run through - DC to Fine - the repeats are left out so that would give us an A B ending.

DaveMoutrie
Alumno de los cursos en linea

Mensaje por DaveMoutrie » Mar May 23, 2017 12:13 pm

Andrei Puhach escribió:
Lun May 22, 2017 8:30 pm
DaveMoutrie escribió:
Dom May 21, 2017 5:00 pm
Here is where I am at with the Carulli Valse at the moment. As you can see I have put the music away completely now so that I can concntrate more on the sound I am making and the overall shape of the piece without the distraction of looking at the notes I am playing. The format is: AA BB CC DD AA B which as far as I have been able to acertain is the correct way of playing it.

Still working on it as I'm not sure its good enough for the exam yet. Any comments, constructive critisism etc., would be most welcome.

Thank you for listening.

Clean and beautiful, pleasure to listen. Great tone also. In section 3 (measure 21), section 4 (measures 25-27) there are rest signs for the bass line meaning damps. But your legato throughout sounds better to me :)
I think you are more than ready for the exam :)
Personally I tend to play it much slower, but I like your version very much.

How do you manage to make it noise-free? Post-processing, some special mic settings or simply a super-quiet room?
Thank you for your kind comments and advice. As always you are eagle eyed and maticulous.

I'm not exactly sure how the examination marking is done, but I am guessing that at least some of the marks are given for following the instructions within the music, so this would include playing it at the speed indicated and including all the rests, dampings etc.

As far as post processing is concerned - I don't do any apart from synching up the audio and video and trimming the video.

The settings I use are: Low cut off, auto level off, rec format wav. I have my recorder about 12 inches from the guitar. Fortunately I live in a quiet cul-de-sac so the only noise I get is usually bird chatter.

I value your help and advice very much so thank you again.

:D

DaveMoutrie

Mensaje por DaveMoutrie » Mar May 23, 2017 2:07 pm

Colin, Chu, David - Thank you for your comments and research into DC al Fine.

Regarding the speed/metronome settings for this piece, the timing given for a dotted crotchet is 44 so setting the gnome at this rate would beat once for each bar of music. Would I be correct in thinking that for the gnome to beat at one quaver per bar (ie 3 X per bar) I would need to set it at 3 times this rate ie 132?

Colin Bullock

Mensaje por Colin Bullock » Mar May 23, 2017 6:48 pm

DaveMoutrie escribió:
Mar May 23, 2017 2:07 pm
Would I be correct in thinking that for the gnome to beat at one quaver per bar (ie 3 X per bar) I would need to set it at 3 times this rate ie 132?
for 3 quavers per bar, one metronome pulse/quaver, yes 132.
Seems quite a fast waltz.

David Sainz Alvarez

Mensaje por David Sainz Alvarez » Mié May 24, 2017 9:50 am

Editado.
Última edición por David Sainz Alvarez el Sab May 27, 2017 10:10 pm, editado 1 vez en total.

David Sainz Alvarez

Mensaje por David Sainz Alvarez » Mié May 24, 2017 9:54 am

Caution.jpg

At the end of sentence 2.
This is important ,in my opinion. I often forget it
No tiene los permisos requeridos para ver los archivos adjuntos a este mensaje.

DaveMoutrie

Mensaje por DaveMoutrie » Dom May 28, 2017 5:49 am

David Sainz Alvarez escribió:
Mié May 24, 2017 9:50 am
Editado.
Editado? - Did you have a video up here David? - I would like to have seen it. :)

DaveMoutrie

Mensaje por DaveMoutrie » Dom May 28, 2017 5:53 am

Mié May 24, 2017 9:54 am
Caution.jpg
posting.php?mode=quote&f=45&p=193007#

Yes, I think it is important as well - you play 2 phrases almost the same, except the second time around there is the extra bass note. It's almost as if it was put there to try and catch you out.
:wink:

David Sainz Alvarez

Mensaje por David Sainz Alvarez » Dom May 28, 2017 6:21 am

I had it. You have not seen him? Did you connect these days and did not play? Like no one said anything I took it away.
  I spend a lot of this in the forum. I have visits, visualizations on youtube but many gaps and publications with no response. In fact I do not know why I keep uploading videos here.

DaveMoutrie

Mensaje por DaveMoutrie » Dom May 28, 2017 7:39 am

Dom May 28, 2017 6:21 am
I had it. You have not seen him? Did you connect these days and did not play? Like no one said anything I took it away.
  I spend a lot of this in the forum. I have visits, visualizations on youtube but many gaps and publications with no response. In fact I do not know why I keep uploading videos here.
Sorry Dave,

I work on ambulances so often work 12 hour shifts which often turn into 14 hours. It can sometimes be a few days before I can check on delcamp.

David Sainz Alvarez

Mensaje por David Sainz Alvarez » Dom May 28, 2017 11:06 am

Don't worry Dave, no problem.

Colin Bullock

Mensaje por Colin Bullock » Mar May 30, 2017 4:31 pm

DaveMoutrie escribió:
Dom May 21, 2017 5:00 pm
Here is where I am at with the Carulli Valse at the moment.
Andrei Puhach escribió:
Lun May 22, 2017 8:30 pm
I think you are more than ready for the exam :)
Personally I tend to play it much slower, but I like your version very much.
Just listened to your exam submissions, both amazing. I've been struggling with the broken nail, held back my practice and I can't stop it Producing odd string noises, but I've managed to post an attempt.
Mié May 24, 2017 9:54 am
Caution.jpg

Yes, I noticed this, but for some reason didn't do it for the opening bar of the section when I first played it, it sounded off, but not too much so. Been listening to your exam piece, I might try that interpretation when I get some more nail, it's quite an interesting idea.

Volver a “English”